The Player Names You’re Pronouncing Wrong
You’re saying Fred’s name wrong.
No, really. Here’s a list of the others you’re missing, too.
- Bruno Fernandes: Fer-nan-desh
- Fred: Fre-j or Fredge
- Joao Felix: Zho-ow Fay-liks
- Hector Bellerin: Bay-air-een
- Toni Kroos: Kr-ows
- Mario Mandzukic: Man-joo-kitch
- Kevin De Bruyne: de Breurner
- Cesar Azpilicueta: Ath-pilly-kweta
- Christian Pulisic: Despite acknowledging the correct pronunciation, Christian prefers his name be pronounced in the American way.
- When in Germany: Pool-uh-sitch
- When in America: puh-liss-ick
There you have it. Impress your friends. Or be that guy and correct them.
News broke this week that Everton are going to have the best stadium in the city of Liverpool. Well, they’re on their way to having waterfront property, at least.
With Everton’s stadium approval, it got us at WorldSoccerShop thinking about the other shiny new stadiums that are on the way in the near future.
Black Players for Change: Blackout Kit Fundraiser
After forming in June of last year, the Black Players for Change group of MLS players hasn’t stopped in their mission. Their most recent move is this fundraiser where you can (enter for free here) make purchases from their store to up your chances of winning the jackpot – one of the above Blackout MLS kits.
“The Black Out Collection was inspired by our collective and individual experience and stories of 2020. It is the culmination of our experiences both inside and outside of the league. A physical representation of struggle, support, unity and every emotion in between.”
Check out the full range (front and back) of kits here.
So here’s the run down for you.
- In February 2020, Spanish radio station La Cadena Ser broke a news story.
- That story alleged that the Barcelona board had hired two marketing companies to run smear campaigns against then-president Josep Bartomeu’s opposition. Think Messi, Pique, Xavi and other presidential candidates for the club.
- On the surface, these companies were simply hired to conduct social media monitoring. However, some contracts were hidden – allegedly by Bartomeu and his aids – from many eyes within the club, with a number of agreements being negotiated under the table with unknown contents.
- It is this underhanded dealing that has driven police involvement. The case potentially involves a criminal misdemeanor and corruption as charges.
- After a year-long investigation, Bartomeu (and 3 assistants connected to him and the club) were arrested at the Camp Nou on Monday.
- A judge has ruled that Barcelona are only an affected party, not a participating one, and that the club itself is not facing charges after reviewing financial records.
Next, the judicial investigations into the individuals continue. It is understood that the week’s developments should not bear tremendous weight on the new incoming presidential election or the futures of Messi and Koeman. You can dive in deeper with The Athletic, or ESPN if you want to crunch the major details.
Pirelli and Inter Milan Part Ways
It’s hard to picture an Inter Kit with anything else across the front. But start getting used to it.
Jersey Spotlight: Forest Green Rovers Coffee (& Bamboo) Kits
A while back, the world’s first carbon-neutral club made their jerseys out of bamboo to avoid plastic waste. Now, they’ve gone and made a kit out of coffee.
The Internet's Most Comprehensive Mercurial Guide.
We'll tell you how they're built, what they're made out of, how far back their history goes, and so much more.